Main Menu
Dice Games
Sic Bo
  | Home   | Index   | Info   | This Week   | Games   | News   | Email
Mahjong Dice Games Card Games
 Craps   Hazard
This dice game is most popular in private American gambling as featured in the thriller, The Big Town. Any number may play. Each person in turn may, as the shooter, cast two matched dice in attempting to roll a winning combination. The casino game often mistaken as Craps is Bank Craps which is also covered in the Casino section.

Before his first throw the shooter puts up a stake, and the other players fade it, i.e., bet against the shooter up to the amount of the stake. The shooter must withdraw any part of his stake that is not faded. If he wins, he may continue to shoot and bet again, as much or as little as he wants; or he may give up the dice. If the shooter loses, the other players take away double the amount they faded. The other players also may bet among themselves as to whether the shooter will win or lose in the next series of throws or whether certain numbers or combinations will appear. In Bank Craps players may bet only against the house.

If the shooter throws a 7 or 11 (natural) on his first roll, he wins; if he rolls 2, 3, or 12 (craps) on the first roll, he loses. Bets are settled; the shooter keeps the dice and puts up the next bet or, if he declines to shoot again, passes the dice to the player on his left, and the game continues. If the shooter's first throw is 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, or 10, that number is his point, and he continues to throw until he rolls the same number again (makes his point) and wins or throws 7 (misses out, or craps out) and loses both his bet and the dice. Side bets may be laid with or against the shooter, either before he has a point (coming out) or after (will or won't make his point).
 Hazard Craps Sic Bo
This dice game dates back at least to the 14th century and once popular and played for high stakes in English gambling rooms. The name of the popular dice game of craps derives from the nickname crabs for the cast 1-1 in hazard. The modern rules of craps also grew out of the old English game.

In hazard the banker, or setter, sets a stake. The player, or caster, calls a main (a number from 5 to 9, inclusive) and then throws two dice. If he throws in, or nicks, he wins the stake. Five is nicked by 5; 6 by 6 or 12; 7 by 7 or 11; 8 by 8 or 12; 9 by 9. The caster throws out, losing the stake, when throwing aces or deuce-ace (crabs, or craps) or when throwing 11 or 12 to a main of 5 or 9, 11 to 6 or 8, and 12 to 7. Any other throw is his chance; he keeps throwing until the chance comes up, when he wins, or until the main comes up, when he loses. When a chance is thrown, the setter pays more than the original stake, according to specified odds. In French hazard the player throws against the house. In English, or chicken, hazard the player throws against an opponent.

Chuck-a-Luck, a game played with three dice, is sometimes called hazard.

Hazard was the most popular game played at Crockford's, the famous gambling club opened in 1828 in Mayfair by William Crockford.
 Sic Bo (Grand Hazard) Hazard  
This dice game has many names but the original is Grand Hazard. The chinese call it Sic Bo which means "Dice Bowl" in reference to the bowl that three dice and held before rolling. In America it is known as chuck-a-luck. It is not the same as hazard.

Basic equipment includes three dice and a chute (or cage or bowl), containing a series of inclined planes that tumble the dice as they fall. The only material difference between grand hazard and chuck-a-luck is in the layout: the grand hazard layout is more complex and provides spaces for wagering on odd or even, high or low, triples (called raffles), and any number the dice may total, from 4 to 17. The percentage in favour of the house, when a player bets on any particular number, varies considerably.

With three dice used there are 216 possible outcomes based upon the roll of the dice. The most common bets in Sic Bo are called 'Big' and 'Small'. To win a Small bet the 3 dice should total between 4-10, a Big bet is won when the 3 dice total 11-17. Both of these bets pay even money and have a low house edge. Probability of winning is 48.61%. House edge is 2.78%. Another easy Sic Bo bet is to wager whether the dice total will be even or odd, this is also an even money bet except when the dice show up as three of a kind. Probability of winning is 48.61% and house edge is 2.78%

While almost all Sic Bo games are identical sometimes you’ll see online casinos with different payout structures. It's important though not to accept anything less than 180-1 on triples. Full odds table here.

this uses a wire cage or cone-shaped chute. The chute, called a "horn," is made of leather or metal. The phrase "tinhorn gambler" derived from gamblers who set up games of Chuck-a-Luck with little money and a metal chute, which was cheaper than a leather one. Other rules are similar to those of Grand Hazard.

Home | Index | Information | Links | Glossary | This Week | Columns | News | Email
Lotteries | Casino Gambling | Games | Betting | Spread Bet | Film Review | Book Review | Advice

This document maintained by GGGeditor.
Material Copyright © 2000 - 2020